Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Christchurch Science Fair

I had the privilege of judging the science projects of many Christchurch School children last Sunday. There were some great projects and excellent ideas. I was struck particularly by the project of one lad from Lincoln High school that tested some social psychological theory. His was the only real social science that I saw at the entire fair!

I was judging to give out an environmental award and decided that perhaps we give our school children the understanding that environmental problems will only be solved by science when in fact it seems to me that the causes and many of the cures for environmental problems will lie at least partially in the social sphere.

There is clearly some work to be done helping others to understand the importance of social science in helping to "solve" the worlds greatest problems!

No comments: