Thursday, September 25, 2008

Three meanings of management

I read a paper this morning (by David Waltner Toews et al (2006))that outlined 3 different ways in which we use the word "manage".

I was fascinated because I recognised them all, and yet I hadn't really thought about it before.

First, there is the idea of command and control. This meaning is linked to the latin manus which means hand and is linked to the Italian word for training and breaking in horses!
Second, is the idea of stewardship, or caring for" and this, they argue is linked to menager which is French for "to use carefully;" and
Third, is the idea of coping as in "we're just managing to keep our head above water!"

"Of course!" I thought, "This is why I"m often at odds with some of the people I work with."

I generally use the term management to imply stewardship, caring or support, while others (like some senior managers I know) are using it in the sense of command and control which implies the idea of manipulating people and making them do what you want. Change in this view is about force at worst or manipulation at best.

Most, if not all of my work, is based on the idea of helping people to decide on the changes they want to make and then supporting them through the process of making them. Personally, I think this works better in terms of long term and meaningful outcomes. I must admit to that as someone who is managed - while it has been and unusuaul event- when I've actually had a manager with this supporting philosophy I've been much more inclined to do the very best I can for them!

No comments: