Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Keeping up the energy in community work

I'm reading a book on Insight Dialogue by Gregory Kramer and reflecting a little on how we behave in relationship and also how deep our patterns of interaction in relationship are. I"m finding it a fascinating book with a lot of useful stuff that is helping me think through the patterns I"m observing in myself in doing community focused work.

Kramer observes that we (human beings) have a need to be seen and to be recognised that comes from our need as infants to survive. He notes that if we don't feel valued or recognised we can become despondent and withdraw from what we are doing. This of course is the basis of 'extinction' and is a tool that many parents use to stop unwanted behaviour in their children by simply ignoring that behaviour. If we feel ignored we can withdraw - or, of course, we can try something else!

This struck a chord because I've been observing in myself a certain lack of energy around some of my voluntary community focused activities. I realise now that this is actually a lack of confidence and perhaps a certain nervousness about putting myself out there. It also comes from this need to feel that what I do is valued and the realisation that I really need positive feedback. Another thing I notice is that for me it seems to be easier to notice the setbacks than the successes and this also means I"m more likely to become despondent rather than energised. While it may make sense to give up on something that does not appear to be working, it is clear to me that I must also recognise that community initiatives take considerable time to build and to get going.

So my aim is to remind myself about some of the small things that I observe coming out of this work that I might be able to use to keep my energy levels up and to keep on moving rather than letting things slide and peter out. Another important aspect of this is the need to find ways to help others to feel valued when they are doing this work, and if they are anything like me that does not need to be big or complicated - sometimes it is simply telling them you appreciate what they do.

No comments: